Perfectly Polished Tips 106 - Men Wearing Polish: Goth, Girly, or OK?

Personally I don't think it's normal for a guy to wear colored nail polish, I guess I am more traditional in that sense. I suppose a manicure or pedicure with clear polish is okay. I would love if my husband would agree to have a nice manicure and pedicure. When I see guys, well male celebrities rather wearing nail polish, specifically black polish, I immediately think -You are trying too hard. I don't think it's goth or girly, it just looks out of place. I haven't witnessed a man wearing polish on their toe nails in real life though, I admit I might be intrigued if I did. Which is why I thoroughly enjoyed reading Darren Garnick's article about getting a fish pedicure, complete with leg exfoliation, tacky flip flops, and orange nail polish. You can read that here - My First Fish Pedicure (and why it poses no threat to American nail salon jobs).

I will admit that I am not a huge fan of orange nail polish, but it doesn't get enough love. There are always people sporting neon green, neon blue, and of course neon pink. Never neon orange though. I feel like most people look down upon any color of varnish that it's pink or red. However it seems that dark plums and greys are making their way into the acceptable category this season. When will that happen for orange? For me an orange would have to have a creme finish for sure, maybe if some one made one with that smoky grey tinge that is in currently they would have themselves a winner. I know I would wear it.

What do you think? Should guys wearing nail polish, on their fingers or toes be considered normal? I know there is the ManGlaze brand but their polish is full of glitter, that doesn't scream manly to me. How about orange? Will it ever make it to the main stream?

ETA: I completely forgot to write about the fish pedicure! I was trying to type this up as quickly as possible this afternoon. My 2 year old was watching a DVD and I didn't know how long I had HAHA.

After reading about Darren's experience I want to try it out. At first I was concerned about how sanitary it would be, but I guess if I am able to find a knowledgeable salon I should be good to go. Of course there are simpler ways to exfoliate your feet but it would give me a good head start. I'm going to look into it and see if I can find a place near me. However I will say that I hate having my feet touched, I always keep my toes painted but I've had maybe 3 or 4 professional pedicures and I only recently, probably with in the last two years, began wearing flip flops. Before then I would always have socks on.

Also I am not judging the men who do choose to wear polish. I think it is awesome that they are confident enough to do so. I also see sporting polish as a type of self expression, and who I am to judge how someone chooses to express themselves. I personally don't like it, but that's just me.